Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2013

Introduction

So, I'm brand new to blogging.  I really have no idea what I'm doing but that's nothing new to me!  I thought to get started I would share a little about why I've started to blog.  My husband and I just purchased an old family home and moved our family 1,000 mile across the country.  What an adventure we are on!  I really wanted to document the journey.  (I think it may be the only way to keep my sanity!) I didn't want to look back a year from now and realize that I didn't take the time to document all of our adventures.

The home we purchased has been in my husband's family since 1948.  To say we are excited to own it is a major understatement.  The home was built in the late 1880's and is a cute little Victorian that sits in the center of a beautiful mountain town.

Our cute little Victorian home!

We moved in two days before Christmas 2012.  There were literally boxes from floor to ceiling in every room!  The plan is to live in it for a few months while we make plans to gut it down to the studs, add on and re-model.  (I hope my marriage survives!!)

I'll be posting all the adventures along with do-it-yourself projects that I'm working on.  I hope you'll ride along on the journey with me and share any ideas you might have! 

8 comments:

  1. Good job Gretchen! Let's take plenty of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea it was that old. Wishing you luck in this exhausting endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, that yellow color really stands out against the snow. Great to have you in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on the remodeling, etc. You'll probably want to consider putting in better wiring. (Watch out for the occupant(s) of the walls and under the stairs. A recurring childhood dream/nightmare of mine included WHO-ever pulling a control lever and flattening the stairs just as I started down...you'd think that would be fun, but the circumstances of the dream made it scary...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is test #2 from your ole Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there. Just a suggeestion from someone who used to sleep in those COLD rooms--we used to take a bottle of hot water wrapped in a towel to bed to keep our toes warm. Be sure there is a tight seal or you might end up with the opposite effect. A good old fashioned water bottle could be used but the Critters you made are a lot more fun for the Kids I am sure. Hugs from Sazzy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are brave gretchen! It is a beautiful home. Where is it at? you know I have lots of weaver family in logan....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you had family here!! We are right in the center of town. You must come visit me the next time you are here. Wouldn't it be fun to see each other again?!

      Delete