Search This Blog

Friday, April 12, 2013

Homemade Egg Rolls with Sweet and Sour Sauce

One of my favorite Chinese foods is egg rolls.  They are so yummy!  I just can't eat Chinese food with out a couple egg rolls.  A few years ago my favorite Chinese restaurant stopped making their own and started serving re-heated egg rolls.  I couldn't believe it!  I was so upset I decided I was going to figure out how to make my own.  I've been making my own ever since.

They are so easy to make!  Really, they are!  I thought I would share my recipe with you so you could enjoy them too.



Here's what you need:  For Egg Rolls (makes about 15 depending on how full you fill them)

1 lbs ground pork
1 carrot, grated
4 green onions, sliced
1 small cabbage, shredded
2 tsp. ground ginger
3 Tbs. Soy sauce
1 pkg. egg roll wrappers
oil for frying


Here's what you need:  For Sweet and Sour Sauce

1/2 C. sugar
1/3 C. vinegar
2/3 C. water
1 1/2 T. corn starch
4 T. catsup



In a large skillet brown the ground pork.  Add the ginger and soy sauce and stir.  Then add the carrot, green onions, and cabbage.  Cook until veggies are tender. Turn off heat.


Here's what your filling should look like.

Now, follow the directions on the egg rolls package for forming the rolls.  Heat your oil in a fry pan while you form the rolls.


Fry the egg rolls in the oil until golden brown.


Don't they look so yummy!

Add all the sauce ingredients to a sauce pan and cook on medium heat until it's thick and bubbly.  Serve with the egg rolls.

That's it, simple right?!


Have fun and let me know how yours turn out!!

Lil\'Luna

3 comments:

  1. I always think how easy it is to make a wide range of foods right in your own kitchen, that we can enjoy when we eat out. With a little imagination we can cook take out or dine in recipes just as tasty, and usually healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I always think it's going to be much harder than it really is. Plus, it is healthier when you can control what goes in it. Thanks for leaving me a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring! I love egg rolls also. Your directions and recipes are superb!

    ReplyDelete