Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Milk Can Makeover

My mother-in-law recently celebrated her 65th birthday.  No, I'm not in trouble for telling you all.  She is proud of making it to retirement as she should be!

One thing I have in common with her is the fact that we both love shabby chic.  We love to take old things and give them new life.  So, for her birthday I decided to take an old milk can that was sitting around our house and give it a makeover. I think it turned out so cute and she loved it.

What do you think?




Here's what it originally looked like.  Not too pretty!


It's had a rough life.  As you can see it's pretty dented and the top had a little rust on it.  I saw the potential though.

I started by giving it a good sanding, especially the top to remove the rust.  I then painted the top and bottom with black spray paint.


I then taped off the top and bottom and sprayed the middle a pretty teal color.


When that was done I used an antiquing glaze over the teal.  I just painted it on with a sponge brush and then wiped over it with a paper towel.  Just play with it until you get the look you want.

Before Antiquing Glaze


After Antiquing Glaze

I used my Cricut to cut the rooster out of white vinyl and attached it to the milk can.  I also added the ribbon to give it a little texture.


Super Cute!  I love that something old can be made so cute with just a little work.  Happy Birthday Mom!  Hope you had a memorable one!




Linked up with:
Lil\'Luna       

4 comments: