Search This Blog

Friday, December 13, 2013

Funky Christmas Monkey

I just love the Christmas season!  It just seems like such a fun time of year to do special things with the family.  I love all the traditions and special time spent together.

This year has been a little difficult with our living room stripped to the studs and all our decorations in the storage unit.  We won't have a tree and there are no stockings hung so it's a little harder to get into the spirit of  things.  I almost had a melt down the other day when I called the drywaller and he said he couldn't come until after Christmas!  Oh well.  My kids have been such good sports about the whole situation and I haven't heard any complaining from them.

So, in an effort to get into the spirit Christmas, and an effort to teach my children to serve each other I have created the Funky Christmas Monkey!


"Why a monkey", you ask?  Well, it's a long story but what else do you have to do but read my long blog story?!  I went to the craft store to get supplies to make elves.  Of course, they didn't have anything I needed.  I wanted this project to be quick and easy.  So, as I was standing in the store trying to make my brain work I remembered my 13 year old son say a few weeks ago that he always wanted a sock monkey.  I know, weird!!  Don't know where that came from but it actually happened.

I have never made sock monkeys but always wanted to try.  I ran to the sock outlet store and grabbed some really cute knee socks.  I know, wrong socks but what did I know!?  Anyway, made another trip to the store to get the right kind of socks and the other supplies.

Here's the tutorial I used to make the sock monkeys.   This tutorial is fantastic.  It has very clear instructions with great photos!

Here's how my monkey's turned out.  The socks came in a pack of 3 for about $5 and the other supplies were inexpensive too.


Remember the knee socks I bought?  I used those to make hats and scarves for each monkey.



So each of my kids got a monkey and the idea is that each day the monkey does an act of service for someone in the family.  You leave your monkey where the service took place with a little note.  It's a nice way for the kids to think about someone else in the family.



We have only been doing it for a few days but it's been great.  There have been breakfasts made, laundry put away, and lots of bed making.  The Funky Christmas Monkeys have been hard at work.

So, I hope you each enjoy your Christmas season!  Think of me as you look at your beautiful trees.  I'll be dreaming of a drywaller this year and enjoying watching my kids make memories together.  (If only they were all nice memories, right?!)

Merry Christmas!!


1 comment: