Search This Blog

Friday, February 1, 2013

Valentine Shirts

Valentine Shirts

Happy February everyone!  We made it through January and this year, with the bitter cold, it's quite the accomplishment if you ask me!

As I was walking through Walmart the other day I saw this adorable pink and red trim and it was calling my name.  As I picked it up to look at, I thought, "wouldn't this be cute for a Valentine's shirt?"  My girls love to have special clothes to wear for holidays.  So I bought the trim and grabbed some inexpensive shirts and headed home.

I think they turned out pretty cute and they were super easy to make!  The whole project only took me thirty minutes, really!! 


Here's what you need to make your own:

  • T-shirt
  • trim
  • sewing machine
  • washable marker



The first thing you need to do is make a heart pattern.  I just free handed a pattern on a sheet of scrap paper.  Transfer the shape onto the shirt with a disappearing marker.  I have a 'mark be gone' marker because I do a  lot of sewing but if you don't have one you could use one of your kids washable markers.


Once you have transferred the shape remove your pattern and you're ready to head to the sewing machine.


I just used the zig zag stitch on my machine.  You could use a straight stitch or whatever you prefer.  I start at the point of the heart so you get a nice sharp point at the bottom.


Follow the line, stitch all the way around, and when you get to the end fold under a small portion of the trim to finish it off.  So easy!!  And look how cute they are!


The girls love them and now they have a fun shirt to wear to school on Valentines Day.  Such a great project for a beginning sewer or for some of you who need to dust off those sewing machines.  You know you need to!

Post some photos when you're done so I can see how well you did!  I'm looking forward to it!



6 comments:

  1. You make it look so easy! They are darling shirts. I just may have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, you can do it! Your little girl needs one for Valentines!!

      Delete
  2. So cute. Love the hats too. Tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kass! We love the hats too. I wish they could wear them to school. Silly rules they have these days.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Glad you like them. You should make some for your girls. They would look darling in them!

      Delete